Friday, February 5, 2010

Easy Peasy Crumb Top Apple Pie

A couple of people have asked me about this recipe and now that I've come to the end of our supply of apples for this year's harvest, I'm finally getting around to posting it.

First though, I have a confession to make.

I am a pie crust failure.

People all over the country have tried to remedy this when they hear me say it.

Trust me on this.

It's not worth your time.

I have tried more recipes than I can count.

And I have come to the conclusion that the results are not worth my time either.

For now anyway.

So I cheat.

I use premade dough or crusts.

Whew... glad I got that off my chest.

This particular recipe solves two problems that I generally have with pies.

The first being the whole crust failure issue.

The second being guilt over eating a double crust pie.

I only get half the guilt with this one. 

And I do my best to minimize the guilt in general by using less refined sugars and coconut oil.










On with the pie making....
When I can get them I like these Wholly Wholesome pie shells.

Especially the spelt ones.

But for today....










It's me and the Dough Boy.




First I peel and slice 6 cups of apples using my spiffy apple peeler you might remember from this post.


I stir lemon juice into the apple slices to keep them from turning brown.
Then I add sugar, sour cream, cinnamon and nutmeg.


Stir to combine.


Spoon into the pie crust.


In a small bowl prepare the topping.

Combine flour, brown sugar and coconut oil.



Mix with a pastry blender til the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Spoon over filling.

Dab a little milk on the edges of the crust to keep it from getting overly browned.




Bake at 375 for 45-50 mins.

Sorry. I know this isn't my purtiest pie ever but we'll have to roll with it.
I'm out of apples and I'm just keepin' it real.

Pie doesn't get much easier than this.

My guys like to top it with some organic vanilla ice cream.

Apple Crumb Pie
adapted from Taste of Home Cookbook

1 pie crust of your choice

Filling:
6 cups chopped, peeled tart apples
4 Tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar (I like Florida Crystals or Demerara)
2 Tblsp sour cream
1 Tblsp all purpose flour (I use whole wheat)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Topping:
1/2 cup flour (I use whole wheat)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter (I prefer coconut oil)

-Combine all filling ingredients and pour in to pie crust.
-In a small bowl combine the topping ingredients and cut with a pasty blender until it resembles coarse crumbs.
-Spoon topping mixture over filling.
-If you want to keep your crust a lighter color you can brush the edges with milk.

Bake at 375 for 45-50 mins
Cool on a wire rack.


And a cool new feature thanks to my friend Cookin Canuck who helped me figure this out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment