Friday, October 9, 2009

Fuel 'Em Up Apple Bread

Before we get down to brass tacks I have to show you this


This is the Reading 78 Apple Peeler from Lehman's that I adore.


I ordered it about this time last year.

It was a splurge for sure.

But I figured we'd have apples forever and it would be an investment.

An investment in apple pie.

An investment in apple bread.

An investment in applesauce ... and apple whatevers of all kinds.

It took 3 months for me to get it because they were backordered.

They are made by hand in the USA.

Gotta love that.


And it's so easy to use.

I ♥ it.

*sigh*



Enough of the apple peeler love fest.

On to the apple bread.

I based this on a basic apple bread recipe that I had gotten.

I beefed up the nutrition levels by tweeking it some.

I wanted to share this version that we like.

This recipe is not Weight Watchers approved.

I came up with this version because we have teenage athletes in the house.

....actually only one now....*sniff*

The thing about teenage athletes is that it can be tricky to keep them fueled up so I try to pack in the good stuff when I get a chance.

This recipe make two loaves of apple bread.

Grease and flour two loaf pans and preheat you oven to 325.

Start by combining 1/2 cup of bran flakes and a 1/2 cup of milk. Set aside to absorb.
We use rice milk and it works fine.

In a bowl, slightly beat three eggs.


Add 1 1/2 cups of sugar. I like to use this Demerara sugar... it's a little less refined.


Also add 1/2 cup of date sugar....it's a not so sweet sweetener.


And add vanilla and oil to the mix. I like these particular products. Feel free to use what you like.


Coconut oil needs to be heated slightly to liquify. I love it for baking.


Also add the bran muxture at this point and set aside the liquid mixture.




Combine whole wheat flour, unbleached white flour, baking soda, cinnamon and the optional unsweetened shredded coconut if you like that the way we do.



Stir to combine.


Stir the flour mixture into the liquid ingredients just until evenly mixed.


The mixture will become very thick. This is normal.


Add four cups of pared, chopped apples and one cup of chopped walnuts.



It's still really thick.


Divide between the two loaf pans and prepare the topping mixture.

Two tablespoons of brown sugar (I like Organic Dark Brown) and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.


Bake at 325 for about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Check to make sure the tester comes out clean and bake longer if neccesary.

Let the bread cool on racks for ten minutes.


Run a thin knife around the edge of the pans and remove the bread to cool.


My guys like it best with cream cheese or neufchatel. I've had it with vanilla yogurt pored over too. You really can't go wrong.
Enjoy!



Here's the recipe all in ine place for ya:



Fuel ‘Em Up Apple Bread

½ cup bran flakes
½ cup milk (I used rice milk)

3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 ½ cups sugar (I use Florida Crystals or Demerara which are a little less refined)
½ cup date sugar
1 cup oil (I prefer coconut oil but you can choose your fav)
1 Tablespoon vanilla

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached white flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
optional- ¼ unsweetened shredded coconut

4 cups pared, chopped apples
1 cup chopped walnuts

topping:
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 325. Grease and flour two 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch loaf pans (or you can use those mini loaf pans)

2. Combine bran and milk in a small bowl and set aside to absorb.

3. Stir together the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla in medium sized bowl until well mixed. Add bran mixture and stir.

4. Combine the flour, soda and cinnamon in a bowl, and then then stir into liquid ingredients until just evenly mixed. Stir in the apples and walnuts. The mixture will be thick and gloppy.

Divide between the loaf pans.

5. Prepare the topping: combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small cup, and sprinkle over the loaves.

6. Bake in preheated slow oven at 325 for 1 hour and 10 minutes, approximately. Check it with a tester inserted in center comes out clean. Make sure it's done. Sometimes they take longer than the time specified.

Let the breads cool in the pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Run a thin knife around the edges of the pans. Remove the breads from the pans to wire racks to cool.

The breads are better the second day. Wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or foil and store at room temperature or in the frig.

2 comments:

  1. Cathy! You are so wonderful! I love your blogspot and this recipe looks great. Thank you for sharing yourself and this recipe. I am drooling over your apple peeler. *u* Have a great day! God Bless, Sioabhan

    ReplyDelete