Saturday, March 26, 2011

Raising The Lion's Whelp - Port Clean Up Part 2

In case you haven't been following along you can find my post about the tsunami aftermath here and part 1 of the clean up here.

On day three of working to raise the Lion's Whelp I got one early message....really early....like still dark out early... that this would be the likely day that she would be floated to the surface.


The next message I got was that she was up ...

I know.

I'm gonna have to dock his pay for that.

Soo I don't have the part when she came up but there was plenty of other interesting stuff....



She had some good sized holes in her hull that hampered the floating a bit.  The crew had to find all the holes so that they could be closed off and the pumps could be effective.

With some constant pumping they were able to keep her afloat.

There was a little timing involved.

The plan was to utilize the hoist at high tide.

Sean was in a dive suit as well since he had helped to find the last of the holes that needed securing.




I came back later when the tide was right for the hoist.




It was pretty interesting.

So I shifted to a better vantage point.


Once everything looked like it was in place they began to raise her.


The range of colors in this one blows me away.  92 feet of Gor.geous.ness.  Who knew?


Sooo about this time the boat was raised up pretty well and they seemed to reach a resting point.

My ADD kicked in and as I waited for the progress to renew I looked around at interested bystanders.

Both sides of the basin were lined with fellow watchers of interesting things.








































Then all the watchers and I heard a SNAP.










About then I saw the wave headed my way....

And Mama didn't raise no dummies...

I sprinted (Dylan will debate my definition of a sprint but it was as sprintly as I get) to get off the end of the dock.

You all know I love ya more than my flip flops ....

but after the recent battering from the tsunami I wasn't real secure about how much more they could take.

Plus I'm kinda wimpy.

So we will now pick up after the sprint :).

From a safer angle.





It's been a rough couple of weeks for the old girl...

And the Port officials...

And the work crews.

They will continue to get the thing done.

I have no doubt.

In order to make the most efficient use of the  resources currently available the Port has opted to reduce the crews so Sean's dive boat job is done for now and I won't have the tip line but I'll try to keep my eyes open. 

I find it all to be so amazing.

The everyday gift of seeing something extraordinary on an ordinary day.


Lookin around for the extraordinary,
Cath

No comments:

Post a Comment