Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Green Maters


A super quick post today.

Gettin ready for lots of Thankfulness in the house but I wanted to share something I learned.

When we got the first Arctic blast of the winter we decided to pull the tomatoes in the greenhouse and make room for cooler weather crops.

There were still quite a few green maters on the vine....

What to do?....

I grabbed one of our new fave books this year

Figuring I was going to need to find some spiffy way to use them...

When I looked up green tomatoes they had a muy bueno tip.


It turns out that if you leave the stems attached and keep them in a cool place with straw over them...
or in between layers if your a layering kind of person...

They continue to ripen.

So hey I'm still making salsa and roasted tomato pasta sauce!

I had never heard that before but it totally explains the whole tomatoes on the vine thing you see in stores.

It works great.

So I've been keeping them in my guest room/root cellar.

We close the door to keep it cool and dark.
Squashes got a space too.

Oh and if you're coming for Thanksgiving....

You know who you are....Collin.

Never fear.

I moved the remaining maters out to the garage and warmed up the room today.

Nice eh?

Just call me Martha Stewart.



Happy Thanksgiving to all and may the thankfulness of the day fill your homes and hearts.

Cath

No comments:

Post a Comment